Friday, January 20, 2012

Quarter2

 Scientific Notation

Scientific notation is a way to write very small or very big numbers more simple and plainly.
The formula is C×1ⁿ and C is always 1≦C<10.
My real life example is about elements. Their mass are often really small that you can`t
scale them. But, I saw a scientific notation on the website which the mass  of a proton was
 written . Proton is a one of the smalles telement . If you write the mass of proton by not using
scientific notation, it represents as so big number.  But, to write the mass in scientific notation, 
it represents1.67 x 10-27kg. Now, you can see it clearly and you can imagine how big is the mass 
 and also compare with the mass of other elements.

The purpose of writing long numbers in scientific notation is to make the numbers looks simple and plain. By  making the number looks plain, it make s easier to guess how big is the number. It help reader to understand the fact easily.

I studied that scientific  notation is highly useful to quote physical quantities. To write physical quantities in scientific notation, you can write the numbers persuadely by changing the numbers simple and you can write the numbers shorter without wasting space.

I learned  more about scientific notation by writing this. I learned that it is used as well as in electric current such as calculators and many computer problem.

The activity related to my goal this year because I saw some scientific notation when I researched about an element on a science project. I didn`t know about scientific notation yet at that time, but now, I learned how to use and when to use them.




No comments:

Post a Comment